Essential Oil DIY – Long Locks Spritzer
I have had SO many compliments recently on how long my hair has grown in such a short amount of time that I just HAD to share my success story with you. Before I share all of my hair growth secrets I have to give you a little back story.
Ever since I was in middle school I have LOVED experimenting with my hair. Whether it was the newest crimper, product, or technique, I tried it! I also tried 50 shades of color from what I called “Marilyn Monroe Blonde” to auburn brown to black and always ended up back to blond – ergo BLEACH.
After a decade of experimenting with my locks my hair finally quit on me. It was dry and thinning. My damaged strands would split in a million directions and break off before ever growing an inch! from 2009 to 2014 my hair was stuck at shoulder length with nothing more than a “just-the-ends-off” hair cut every time I went to my stylist. It was time to do something… ANYTHING!
My 6 tricks for getting my long locks back
#1: I Added more healthy fat to my diet
Dry hair, brittle nails, and discoloration of the skin are sure-fire ways to tell if your not getting the right nutrients in your diet. If there is ONE thing that I have learned over the past few years it is that FAT is my FRIEND not my FOE.
Fat and proteins are like Bonnie and Clyde – they simply just work better together. Hair is made up of proteins and needs fat to help bind and protect the root and strands.
How I got my daily fat intake: along with eating more red meat which contains zinc and iron to help stimulate proper blood flow to your scalp (and everywhere else) I also added a tablespoon or so of coconut oil to my coffee every morning! The benefits of coconut oil are ENDLESS especially when it comes to hair health. I could go on and on about this… but I will let NewHealthGuide.org explain it because well… I couldn’t have said it better myself. 😉
Once I decided to invest in growing out my hair, I knew i needed to invest in a shampoo and conditioner to support this growth. What I used? Young Living’s daily Lavender & Mint Shampoo & Conditioner. I ran out of these recently and had to revert back to my old products and my hair instantly dried out and split at the ends. The best thing about this Plant-based product is that it is safe and environmentally responsible!
NOTE: you can’t get this product in stores! If you are interested in learning how to purchase this product at 24% off, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
#3: I washed my hair less
This might have been the hardest one for me. I love working out and get pretty sweaty when I do. So not washing my hair everyday was a challenge for me, but for 6 months I stuck to it and I am definitely glad I did! Luckily I work from home most days so I didn’t offend too many people in public… and of course I STILL showered and maintained socially acceptable hygiene.
WHY THIS HELPS: When you wash your hair less, it has the ability to produce it’s own natural oils to help nourish itself. The craziest part – if you train it long enough it actually starts to look and feel cleaner, longer. after about 6 weeks of using baby powder and wearing my hair up, I was washing my hair ever 2 days! This also helped me use less heat on my hair which leads me to my next tip…
#4: I stopped using my hot tools and let my hair air dry from time to time
Part of the problem with my hair was breakage from curling and straightening my hair and blowing it dry EVERY day. I still curled my hair for special occasions but cutting back to once a week rather than every day made a significant impact on my hairs ability to regain it’s health.
#5: I took supplements
I am really bad at taking my vitamins regularly. This tip might impact your results even more than mine if you are consistent with it – unlike me – which is great news for you!
Supplements I tried to take consistently:
- Biotin – This seems to be a popular supplement that is suggested to support thinning hair. It is water soluble (so your body gets rid of what it doesn’t need) and doesn’t seem to have side effects. So I say…. “why not!”
- Iron – iron is a mineral that carries oxygen in our blood from our lungs to vital organ systems – including the skin. the stimulation of blood flow to your scalp and hair follicles my promote hair growth! Giving yourself a little head message can also help this process along 😉
- Vitamin D – I call this “the happy vitamin”. This sunshine vitamin is important for your body and may positively contribute to stimulating your hair cycle.
#6: I ditched chemical products and replaced them with Essential Oils (and baby powder)
This hair regimen change was probably the easiest one for me to implement. Ditching my chemical products saved me money and I already had everything I needed to make my “Long Locks Spritzer”! I am obsessed with my essential oils and use them for everything and was already taking biotin orally! Here’s what you need to know for this little trick:
What you need:
- 4 oz glass spray bottle (you can find that here)
- 5 – 5000mg Biotin Soft Gel Capsules (I currently use these)
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 3.5 oz Filtered Water
- 10 Drops:
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Cedarwood Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
How To Make It:
- Empty Biotin from capsules into spray bottle by puncturing a hole with a safety pin and squeezing out the contents
- drop a pinch or two of sea salt into spray bottle (this will help distribute the oil throughout the water as oil and water don’t mix well
- add all oils to bottle. **If you don’t have a few, DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT! when i first started this regimen I only used Lavender, Rosemary, and Lemon. I added Peppermint later and just recently purchased Ylang Ylang and Cedarwood so now I use those too!
- Add water
- Tighten spray cap
- Shake vigorously!
How To Use:
After each shower, towel dry hair and spritz onto your roots generously. Be sure to shake well before each use as contents may separate. Dry and style your hair as you normally do! Store your Long Locks Spritzer in a cool dark place when not using!