When the leaves start to change color and the temperature begins to drop, “comfort food” cravings begin to hit HARD.
Wouldn’t it be amazing if you could give into these cravings without the guilt? Well, you can!
Why this tasty side is “Guilt Free:
Baked sweet potato fries are an excellent source of beta-carotene or vitamin A, a great source of vitamin C, vitamin B1, B2, and B6, potassium, dietary fiber and much more.
“Faux-fried food” (otherwise known as baked & broiled) is one of my favorite ways to cheat my mind and not my diet. Faux-frying is a process in which you season with healthy oils and seasonings and cook at higher temperatures on a rack to allow the food to crisp on all sides.
Tricking the mind is one of my favorite methods for staying healthy. As I write this, I am drinking a Sparkling Mango & Berry Kombucha mocktail (“sparkling” meaning mostly seltzer water) out of a wine glass without the worry of waking up with brain fog tomorrow. The mind is easily fooled through self talk and I like to use that to my benefit. Now it’s your turn!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooke time: 20-30 minutes | Yields: 2 servings
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 2-3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), Avocado Oil, or Coconut Oil
- Salt + Pepper
- Optional: Garlic salt or Cinnamon & Nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Wash sweet potato with vegetable wash
- Cut sweet potato into 1/4 in sticks – as uniform as possible for even cooking.
- place fries in bowl and drizzle with desired oil. I use EVOO or Avocado oil when I season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and I use coconut oil when I season with salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder (for a traditional flavor) or salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg (for a sweet/savory flavor)
- Toss with hands to coat the fries.
- Place in a single layer in rows on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet. I typically line the cookie sheet with aluminum foil to make clean-up easier.
- Place on middle rack in oven and cook at 450 for 20-25 minutes or until fries start to turn golden. Flip fries after 10 minutes or so.
- For that extra crispy/chard flavor – switch oven to broil and move tray to top rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove and enjoy your baked sweet potatoes with your favorite main dish!