Are you ever rushing out the door and you realize your stomach is growling but you don’t have time to whip up something healthy?
It can be challenging to find grain-free, [refined] sugar-free options for hunger-curbing snacks. Granola bars are an easy on-the-go option but can be FILLED with sugars and preservatives. Trail mix is a healthy alternative but can make your tastebuds tired and lackluster.
That is why these Sweet and Salty Homemade Energy Bites are PERFECT for a grab-and-go treat, an energy boosting afternoon snack, or after a hard workout.
Sweet and Salty Homemade Energy Bites Ingredients
- 1 cup raw sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups dates
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
Why use these ingredients?
These homemade energy bites are filled with protein, healthy fats (omega-3 fatty acids), and fiber to help stabilize blood sugar levels.
Nuts and seeds are rich in vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, Vitamin E (almonds) and K (pumpkin seeds).
Cinnamon is a natural antiseptic, helps regulate blood sugars, fights bacteria, viruses, fungal infections, and helps reduce inflammation, is rich in antioxidants and is also a great digestive aid.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Measure all ingredients and place in food processor (don’t forget to remove the pit from the dates if they do not come that way already)
- Run food processor on high for about 30 seconds or until mixture is finely chopped
- Roll fruit and nut mixture into 1 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet or in a mini muffin tray (NOTE: keep a bowl of water handy to occasionally rinse off hands)
- Bake in oven for 5-7 minutes (this will “set” the mixture)
- Remove from oven and let cool
- Store in refrigerator